Hornish Finishes Second in Penske Racing Sweep at Iowa
August 4, 2013THE RACE
The US Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway (7/8 - mile speedway, Newton, Iowa)
August 3, 2013
The No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Ford Mustang
Driven By: Sam Hornish Jr.
Start Position: 14
Finish Position: 2
Current Driver's Points Position: 3
THE RACE REVIEW
· Hornish started the race from row seven in the 14th position based on his qualifying effort earlier in the day.
· Over the opening laps of the 250-lap race, Hornish went to work moving up the running order as he broke inside the top 10 by lap 18.
· Hornish reported that his Ford Mustang was a little tight early in the race. Despite dealing with a car that was not turning well in the center of the corner, he still managed to turn several fastest laps on the track.
· At lap 54, the first caution flag of the night was displayed which gave the Penske Truck Rental team their first opportunity to make adjustments on the Ford Mustang.
· The Penske pit crew gained two positions for Hornish on the first pit stop, and the Defiance, Ohio native would drive into the top three by lap 125.
· Hornish would maintain a consistent presence in the top three for much of the remainder of the race, but did fall to sixth for a few laps after a few competitors took two tires during the penultimate round of pit stops.
· A late-race caution set the stage for a 32-lap dash to the checkered flag with Hornish restarting in the fourth position. He maneuvered into the second position where he would finish behind teammate Brad Keselowski giving Penske Racing its second 1-2 finish of the season.
· This is the fourth time Hornish and the No. 12 team have scored a runner-up finish.
· With the result, Hornish and the Penske Truck Rental Ford team gained one position in the championship battle, now occupying the third spot, just 14 points out of first place in the series standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
ANOTHER GREAT RUN, HOW WAS YOUR RACE?
“I have to give credit to the Penske Truck Rental pit crew and all the guys back at the shop, they gave me a fast Ford Mustang to drive tonight. We would have liked to get the win, but it is great to be a part of another Penske Racing 1-2 finish. We were just a little too tight at the end of the race, and I was not able to keep up with Brad. I have to congratulate Brad and the No. 22 team they did a heck of job to get him to the front. It was a good night for us in terms of points and the championship, so we are happy about that, and we are looking forward to next weekend.” - Sam Hornish Jr.
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2008 Penske Racing. All rights reserved