Logano Finishes 17th in Food City 500 Battle at Bristol
March 18, 2013THE RACE
The Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway (.0.533-mile oval, Bristol, Tenn.)
Starting Position: 10
Finishing Position: 17
Current Championship Position: 12
THE RACE REVIEW
· Joey Logano and the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion started the race in the 10th position. Logano ran at the front of the field from the outset and was positioned anywhere between seventh and 10th place over the first 150 laps.
· Crew chief Todd Gordon and the team continued to improve the No. 22 Ford all afternoon long and Logano broke into the top-five just after the halfway point of the race.
· Logano made steady moves and found himself running in second place and battling for the lead just past lap 300. On lap 328, Logano was spun from behind by the No. 11 machine, which put the Shell-Pennzoil Ford into the outside wall. The team brought the car to pit road and did the best they could to fix the damage, keeping Logano on the lead lap.
· Despite the wrecked racecar, Logano drove from 20th to sixth, showing the strength of his Shell-Pennzoil Ford. However, contact with the No. 78 car damaged the right rear fender and made the car extremely loose.
· In the closing stages of the race, Logano lost positions with a car that was extremely loose-handling, as he fell from sixth to 17th over the final few laps.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“We had a fast Shell-Pennzoil Ford today. No disrespect to (race winner) Kasey Kahne but I think we had the best car out here today. Our car was super-fast. We were tight early on, but Todd (Gordon) made the right calls and got it handling a lot better. We had a couple of good restarts and found ourselves running second and battling for the lead and we just got wrecked. But the guys fixed the car and it was just as fast even after the wreck. We drove from 20th to sixth with a destroyed car. But we got our fender knocked out near the end of the race and the car just got so loose I couldn’t even hold onto it. We just couldn’t hold onto it.” – Joey Logano on his Shell-Pennzoil Ford.
“I don’t know what happened in the wreck. I’m just not going to comment on it anymore. We will deal with it how we need to deal with it. I’m just proud of my team. They worked on this car all weekend long and made it really fast. And after the wreck, they fixed it and it was just as fast. That tells you how fast our car was all day long. And post-race, they whole team stuck up for me. That is the kind of team I have behind me. I couldn’t be any happier right now.”- Joey Logano on how his team responded.
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2008 Penske Racing. All rights reserved