Sam Hornish Jr. NNS Homestead-Miami Speedway Preview
November 16, 2010
SAM HORNISH JR.
No. 26 Alliance Parts Dodge Charger
Homestead-Miami Speedway – Ford 300
November 20, 2010
Alliance Parts Team News and Notes
• Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 26 Alliance Parts Dodge Charger, will mark his return to NASCAR Nationwide Series competition this weekend in the Ford 300 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Hornish last raced in the NNS Series in 2008, when he made a total of eight starts and earned an average starting position of 19.4 with a best start of eighth (Watkins Glen International), and an average finish of 21.2 with a best finish of 11th (Darlington Raceway).
• From 2006 to 2008, Hornish made a total of 19 Nationwide Series starts scoring five top-15 finishes. Hornish also captured one top-five, three top-10 and seven top-15 starting positions while competing in a limited NNS schedule over the three-year period.
• Hornish has an impressive racing history at Homestead-Miami Speedway in IndyCar Series competition. The three-time series champion has a total of seven IndyCar starts at HMS, capturing three victories and six top-three finishes along with two pole positions. In the open-wheel ranks, Hornish earned an average start of 3.9 at the 1.5-mile oval with an average finish of third, completing 1399 of 1400 possible laps and leading for a total of 461 circuits.
• Hornish will reunite with his former Cup Series crew chief Chris Carrier who will sit atop the No. 26 pit box for Saturday’s Nationwide Series race at HMS. Carrier served as crew chief on the No. 77 Cup Series team during the first part of Hornish’s rookie campaign in 2008. The veteran crew chief has worked with development driver Parker Kligerman over the past two seasons in the NASCAR Nationwide Series.
• The No. 26 Dodge will feature primary sponsor Alliance Parts for Saturday’s 300-mile race at HMS. Alliance Parts is a brand of Daimler Trucks North America LLC, the largest heavy-duty truck manufacturer in North America and a leading manufacturer of Class 4-8 vehicles. Daimler Trucks North America produces and markets commercial vehicles under the Freightliner, Western Star and Thomas Built Buses nameplates.
Alliance Parts Team Quotes
“I like Homestead-Miami Speedway; it’s been one of my favorite places for many years. Unlike other intermediate venues that are tri-ovals, both ends of the track are exactly the same with two straightaways in between. The way you get into the corners at Homestead is unlike anywhere else. It’s a unique track and a great place to have the final race of the season.
“I am really looking forward to racing in the NASCAR Nationwide Series this weekend in Homestead, the site of my second career NASCAR start in 2006. I feel that I have learned a lot about stock cars in a relatively short amount of time. Although I’ve spent the past two years racing solely in the Sprint Cup Series, I have always felt that Nationwide races are competitive, action-packed and a lot of fun. As we work to finalize our plans for 2011, it feels good to end this season with a little excitement. We really hope to have a solid performance in the Alliance Parts Dodge this weekend.” ~Sam Hornish Jr.
“We are all excited to have Sam compete in the Nationwide Series race this weekend. Sam is a true competitor with solid performances in both the NASCAR Cup and Nationwide Series, as well as in the IndyCar Series. Penske Racing is proud to feature Alliance Parts on the No. 26 Dodge at Homestead-Miami Speedway as they are an important partner to our organization. Like our team, Alliance Parts is dedicated to quality, performance and proven results. Together, we hope to achieve those very things on the racetrack this weekend.” ~Roger Penske
“Homestead-Miami Speedway is a unique venue. The fast 1.5-mile track has a lot of grip in cool conditions, but turns into a high-speed skating rink when the tires become worn while racing under the Miami sun. The progressive banking in the corners leads to multi-groove racing, and there are some bumps that give the place character.
“I am looking forward to racing at Homestead for several reasons. One is simply the privilege to show up at any race with equipment of this caliber. Also, it’s going to be great to be teamed up with Sam again. I really feel there is some unfinished business there, and that motivates me even more. Sam is a stand-up person and a talented race driver that has accomplished a lot in his career. We are going to Homestead with a strong performance in mind. To me, that is the best way to welcome our race sponsor this weekend and make them proud to allow us to represent them.” ~crew chief Chris Carrier
Back to previous page.
Copyright ©2008 Penske Racing. All rights reserved