Keselowski Scores Top-5 Finish After Starting from Pole
July 15, 2013
The Camping World RV Sales 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (one-mile oval, Loudon, N.H.)
The No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion
Driven by Brad Keselowski
Start Position: 1
Finish Position: 4
Current Driver Points Position: 9
THE RACE REVIEW
· Brad Keselowski and the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford Fusion team began Sunday’s race from the pole position following a track-record qualifying run of 28.022 seconds on Friday afternoon.
· After two quick caution flags within the first 14 laps, Keselowski settled into the third spot in the running order. However, he showed good long-run speed as he reclaimed the lead on lap 76 prior to making his way down pit road for the first pit stop of the day.
· Despite a handling condition that was loose on corner entry, while needing forward drive exiting the turns, Keselowski never fell outside the top five throughout the first half of the race.
· Following a lap 158 caution period, Keselowski was edged off pit road by several competitors that only took two tires. As a result, he fell to 15th on the race restart, his lowest position of the race.
· Utilizing a fast car and a timely, fuel-only pit stop at lap 219, Keselowski was able to make his way back inside the top five by lap 209.
· During the last stint of the race, Keselowski could feel the Miller Lite car’s performance improving. Unfortunately a rash of late-race cautions worked against him as the car was at its best on long runs. He was able to maneuver his way into the fourth position before taking the checkered flag.
· With the result, Keselowski improved four spots to the ninth position in the series point standings.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
TALK ABOUT A GREAT FINISH FOR THE MILLER LITE FORD ON SUNDAY?
“That was a grueling race, for sure. We fought hard all day and came home with a fourth, so that was a decent day. I thought we had a shot at it. The 18 and 78 (cars) were really good. I hadn’t been around the 55 (car driven by Brian Vickers) all day until the end but, man, that last run he was definitely fast and deserved the win. Great job by them. It was a decent day for the Miller Lite Ford Fusion, we just needed a little bit more to win.”
A TOP-FIVE FINISH IS WHAT YOUR TEAM NEEDED RIGHT NOW BUT ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THAT?
“Yeah, it is a solid day but not the win I wanted, that’s for sure. It’s still a solid day though. We can definitely build off it and use the momentum moving forward into what will be a crucial run to the Chase.”