Disappointing Day for Keselowski in Sam's Town 300
March 10, 2013
The Sam’s Town 300 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) (1.5 mile speedway) – Las Vegas, NV
Start Position: 6
Finish Position: 37
Owner Points Position: 14
THE RACE REVIEW
· Keselowski began the race from the sixth position as the field was set based on the NASCAR rulebook as rain showers canceled the Saturday time trials.
· Under an early caution period at lap three, Keselowski radioed that he had a vibration in the front-end of the Discount Tire Mustang, foreshadowing an ominous future.
· Despite the vibration, Keselowski was able to turn some of the fastest laps on the track, eventually taking the lead at lap 23.
· Keselowski was able to keep his car in the top-five throughout consecutive two-tire pit stops at lap 37 and lap 83 while other competitors elected to change only two tire.
· At lap 104, while running in the third position, Keselowski radioed that his vibration was worse. Eventually his car began to run hot and he brought it pit road. After several rounds of diagnosis it was discovered that a piece of front suspension had malfunctioned, which affected the radiator. This effectively ended the day for the Discount Tire team.
WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
“It was disappointing because the Discount Tire Ford was really fast. Congrats to my teammate Sam Hornish on the win. He was really fast too. Something just broke in the mid part of the race and we couldn’t figure it out. It kept getting worse and worse. It just wasn’t going to run at lap speed and something eventually broke really big going down the straightaway and we needed to get off the track before we got somebody else wrecked or brought out a yellow. It is just really unfortunate.”
“I’m very proud of the Nationwide program we have built at Penske Racing. I think it has made our organization stronger, from top to bottom. The way that Sam ran today they should be a force all year long, as should the No. 22 Ford with myself, Joey Logano and Ryan Blaney.”